Sunday, February 24, 2008

Menopause


My 17 year old daughter asked me this morning if I was going through menopause. I snapped at her about something last night, after she made a statement that I felt was a personal attack. After having a discussion with her boyfriend, whose mother is older and has gone through menopause and he suggested that I, too, might be going through this period in my life, she asked me that question.

According to Wikipedia (I know, not the scholarly website of the year!), the psychological symptoms include:

Psychological
mood disturbance
irritability
fatigue
memory loss and problems with concentration
depression

All of the above could be caused by other people, not by my own biological clock reminding me that I have more wrinkles than my old wadded up sheets, weight and fat are busily making nests in my trunk and in my branches, and that I am no longer able to get my way using my feminine ways other than the offer of help with my groceries by the pimple-faced grocery bagger?

Could it be that either I am just a mean and crazy woman in general or that I expect nothing less than perfection from the other members in my family as well as the rest of the human race? I don't believe this is too much to ask, do you?


1 comment:

ABW said...

Thanks for making me laugh!!!

I must be going through it too then since that fits me to a T.